EVANSVILLE, Ind. – Winter baking provides you and the children one thing to do on these chilly, wet weekends, warms up the home and makes all the things scent good, and, better of all, ends in a scrumptious dessert.
Bread pudding could possibly be the warmest and most comforting of all of them. It’s a easy, centuries outdated dish that originated as a option to flip stale bread right into a scrumptious recent dish. Simply soak items of bread with a candy custard made with eggs, milk or cream, and sugar, then bake and revel in as is or with a sauce.
For such a easy thought, there are limitless variations on bread pudding, from homey to fancy, with add-ins from dried fruit to chocolate to spices. We requested 4 Evansville professional cooks to inform us their favourite recipe.
The baking wizard at Cleo’s Bakery and Brown Bag Lunches is Jeannie Kellams. She and her siblings named the enterprise after their mother, Cleo, who was a famend baker who taught her kids the best way across the kitchen.
“After I was younger, my mother would make bread pudding for dessert when she had leftover bread or rolls,” Kellams mentioned. “She made her personal bread and dinner rolls and it wasn’t fairly often that we had any left over, so when she made bread pudding, it was fairly a deal with. Mother did not add any flavors apart from vanilla. She left that as much as me, I assume. It is enjoyable to experiment with new flavors so be happy so as to add any extras that you really want — coconut, chocolate, any fruit and so on.”
Cleo’s Vanilla Bread Pudding recipe
12 cups of toasted bread minimize into cubes. Any sort of bread. A mix is nice.
2 cups sugar
3 cups entire milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 levels. In a big bowl whisk the eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla collectively. Gently fold within the bread cubes. Switch the combination to a buttered 9 x 13 pan. Bake for about an hour till a knife inserted within the heart comes out clear.
2. Whereas the bread pudding is baking, make the sauce: in a small saucepan over medium warmth, soften butter. Stir in sugar and cream. Prepare dinner and stir till the sugar is dissolved, then add vanilla. Pour the sauce excessive of the pudding whereas it’s heat.
Chef Doug Rennie, proprietor of Just Rennie’s Catering and Cookie Co., has been one among Evansville’s premier cooks since he got here to city nearly thirty years in the past to move up the Ashley Grill. Along with his a long time of upscale restaurant expertise, we thought Rennie was sure to have a luscious and stylish bread pudding recipe for us, and he didn’t disappoint.
Doug Rennie’s New Orleans Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce and Chantilly Cream
3 massive eggs
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ¼ teaspoons floor nutmeg
1 ¼ teaspoons floor cinnamon
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cups milk
½ cup raisins
½ cup coarsely chopped pecans, dry roasted
5 cups very stale French or Italian bread cubes, with crusts on
1 lemon, halved
½ cup water
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in ¼ cup chilly water
1 teaspoon vanilla
Garnish: Chantilly cream – ½ cup chilly cream whipped with ½ teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 levels. In a big bowl of an electrical mixer, beat the eggs on excessive pace till extraordinarily frothy and bubbles are the scale of pinheads, about 3 minutes (or with a metallic whisk for about 6 minutes).
2. Add the sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and butter and beat on excessive till properly blended. Beat within the milk, then stir within the raisins and pecans.
3. Place the bread cubes in a greased loaf pan. Pour the egg combination over them and toss till the bread is soaked. Let sit till you see solely a slim bead of liquid across the pan’s edges, about 45 minutes, patting the bread down within the liquid sometimes. Place within the oven and instantly decrease the warmth to 300 levels and bake 40 minutes.
4. Improve oven temperature to 425 levels and bake till pudding is properly browned and puffy, about 15 to twenty minutes extra.
5. Whereas pudding is baking, make the lemon sauce: squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from the lemon halves and place juice in a 1-quart saucepan; add the lemon halves, water and sugar and produce to a boil. Stir in dissolved cornstarch and vanilla. Prepare dinner 1 minute over excessive warmth, stirring always. Pressure, squeezing the sauce from the lemon rinds. Makes about ¾ cup.
5. To serve, put 1 ½ T heat lemon sauce in every dessert dish, then spoon in ½ cup scorching bread pudding and high with ½ cup Chantilly Cream.
Ronnie Lee is retired now, however for a few years was an Evansville caterer particularly well-known for his grilled entire beef tenderloins, cinnamon rolls and different baked goodies.
“I like bread pudding so much and make it like I used to be taught a few years in the past,” he mentioned. “I like a mushy texture greater than the cakey sort, so I like utilizing mushy bread like hamburger buns and mushy rolls. It provides it that pudding texture. I add milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, and high it with caramel sauce.”
Ronnie Lee’s Bread Pudding
3 packages scorching canine or hamburger buns or any mushy roll, cubed
1 stick butter, melted
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon good cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 gallon milk
3 or extra eggs
1 tablespoon good vanilla
1 stick butter
1 cup gentle brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 Levels. Grease a 9×14-inch pan with two-inch sides. Combine cubed bread, melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg till properly combined collectively. Press into pan.
2. Combine milk, eggs and vanilla and pour over bread combination. Enable to soak a bit. Bake at 350 for an hour to an hour and a half till raised however nonetheless springs when wiggled.
3. Whereas the pudding is baking, make the caramel sauce: Place butter, brown sugar and cream right into a sauce pan and warmth to boiling. Pour over scorching pudding when it’s completed baking.
Bea Sweet Treats is a brand new bakery in Newburgh run by Ashley Corbetta and her mother Stephanie Submit. Corbetta earned a level in pastry arts from Sullivan College in Louisville and labored as a pastry chef at a couple of areas there.
“I made this bread pudding once I labored at Anoosh Bistro in Louisville,” Corbetta mentioned. “It’s a buttery bread pudding and the white chocolate simply makes it additional! Brioche is by far the most effective bread to make use of. The secret is to make it and let it sit in a single day earlier than you bake it. That method all of the bread soaks up the liquid and it’s the most effective taste and consistency.”
Ashley Corbetta’s White Chocolate Bread Pudding
1 loaf brioche or candy bread
4 oz butter, unsalted, melted
16 oz white chocolate chunks or chips
2 cups entire milk
2 cups heavy cream
2/3 cups sugar
2 splashes vanilla
1. Dice bread and put in massive bowl with chocolate.
2. Combine cream, milk, and vanilla in a saucepan. Deliver to a simmer. Place eggs and sugar right into a bowl and slowly whisk the new milk combination into it.
3. Pressure egg custard into the bread combination. Add butter and blend all collectively.
4. Spray a 13×9 baking pan and add bread combination. Cowl with foil. Allow to take a seat in a single day.
5. Preheat oven to 350. Bake the bread pudding 30-40 minutes or untilt bounces again to the contact. Serve with ice cream.
Contact Aimee Blume at firstname.lastname@example.org