These lemon blueberry muffins are quick to make with a moist and tender center bursting with blueberries and perfectly golden brown tops. These are inspired by our popular blueberry muffin recipe. We’ve been making those muffins for years and are so happy that we added this fresh lemon spin! Jump to the Lemon Blueberry Muffins Recipe
Watch The Video
How to Make The Best Lemon Blueberry Muffins
You only need a couple of bowls and a spoon to make these easy muffins with fresh lemon, blueberries, flour, sugar, vanilla, and vegetable oil.
- Fresh or frozen blueberries work in our recipe. It’s tricky to find sweet fresh blueberries all year round. Thankfully, this doesn’t prevent us from getting our muffin fix! When using frozen blueberries, add them when they are still frozen.
- For the lemon, we prefer using fresh and actually use both the zest and juice. I rub the zest of a lemon into the sugar, which does a fantastic job of getting all the aromatic oils to permeate the muffin batter.
- We use all-purpose flour, but whole wheat flour or your favorite gluten-free flour blend should work in the recipe. If you find the batter seems a bit thick, don’t worry, an extra splash of liquid will fix it.
- Unlike a lot of our baking recipes, we use oil as the fat for these muffins. I usually love using butter for flavor, but oil makes these muffins light and airy in the middle.
- For the liquid, use milk or non-dairy milk. I’ve even used water when I’m out of both. Try our homemade oat milk!
Making the Muffins in Three Easy Steps
When you realize how easy these muffins are to make, you’ll want to make them over and over again. In fact, so many of our readers already have. This lemon muffin recipe is inspired by our easy blueberry muffins recipe. It has lots of five-star reviews!
- Rub lemon zest into the sugar until the sugar takes on a lemon aroma.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in one bowl, and then whisk the wet ingredients in another. Combine the two mixtures to make the batter.
- Fold in the blueberries, divide the batter between muffin cups and bake.
Optional step: In our photos, you can see that we added a thin slice of lemon to the top of each muffin. I love the way this looks and since we recommend sprinkling a little sugar on top of the lemon before baking, it tastes amazing, too.
Just like with our original muffin recipe, this recipe can be used to make a variety of muffin sizes:
- Eight or nine big-topped, bakery size muffins
- Eleven to twelve standard-size blueberry muffins
- Twenty to twenty-two mini blueberry muffins
More Muffin Recipes
Quick and Easy Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- PREP 10mins
- COOK 20mins
- TOTAL 30mins
This lemon blueberry muffin recipe makes eight large big-topped muffins, ten standard muffins or 20 to 22 mini muffins (see note below about baking time for mini muffins). Fresh or frozen blueberries can be used. When using frozen, do not thaw them before adding to the batter.
Makes 8 large big-topped muffins / 10 standard muffins / 20-22 mini muffins
Watch Us Make the Recipe
You Will Need
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for muffin tops
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup (80 ml) neutral-flavored oil; canola, vegetable and grape seed are great
1 large egg
1/3 cup to 1/2 cup (80 ml – 120 ml) milk; use dairy or non-dairy
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 to 8 ounces fresh or frozen blueberries (about 1 cup); see note below about frozen berries
Extra thin lemon slices, optional
Adam and Joanne’s Tips
- You can make these with fresh or frozen blueberries – if you use frozen, do not thaw the blueberries.
- For mini muffins, the baking time will be less — keep an eye on them while they bake and expect them to take 9 to 11 minutes.
- Batter Thickness: The batter should be thick and “scoopable” — not runny and not dry or extra thick like dough. If the batter is too runny, add flour, a tablespoon at a time until correct consistency. If the batter is dry or too thick, add milk, a tablespoon at a time until the proper consistency.
- Nutrition facts: The nutrition facts provided below are estimates. We have used the USDA database to calculate approximate values. Calculations are for one standard muffin (this recipe makes 10).
If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #inspiredtaste — We love to see your creations on Instagram and Facebook! Find us: @inspiredtaste Recipe inspired by and adapted from Allrecipes.com
Nutrition Per Serving: Serving Size 1 muffin / Calories 214 / Total Fat 8.1g / Saturated Fat 0.8g / Cholesterol 19.3mg / Sodium 71.6mg / Carbohydrate 33.1g / Dietary Fiber 0.9g / Total Sugars 17.1g / Protein 3g
Leave a Reply